Know Risk is a community education program designed by the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF) to improve our understanding of insurance and how it relates to managing the many risks we all face in life.
What to do if your home is broken into
1. Call the police and file a report.
2. Create a credit alert if any bank cards or laptop information have been stolen.
3. Phone your insurance company and find out what is needed to make a claim.
4. Consider changing the locks.
5. After a day or two, do a full inventory of the premises. You may discover more items have been taken and you can amend the police report if so.
6. If you are renting, contact your landlord.
7. Let your neighbours know what has happened.
8. Account for all spare house and car keys.