Know Risk is a community education program designed by the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF) to improve our understanding of insurance and how it relates to managing the many risks we all face in life.
Tips for Quitting Smoking
1. Find an approach that will work for you, whether cold turkey or gradually. Set a date to quit and make it sooner rather than later. If you are quitting by yourself, it is recommended that you stop smoking completely on your quit date.
2. Get support from family, friends and colleagues. Ask them not to offer you cigarettes and to encourage you to keep going.
3. Throw out all ashtrays, cigarettes, lighters and anything that will remind you of smoking.
4. Try to avoid situations where you'll be tempted to light up in the early stages of quitting. Sit in the non-smoking sections of these events when attending.
5. Write down the reasons you are quitting and carry this with you when you need reminding.
6. Keep the following 4 D's in mind when you have a craving; Delay, Deep Breathe, Drink Water, Do something else.
7. Try to avoid too much coffee or alcohol, things that usually go with a cigarette.
8. Telephone the Quitline 131 848 if you need more advice.