Know Risk is a community education program designed by the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF) to improve our understanding of insurance and how it relates to managing the many risks we all face in life.
What to do after a flood
There's no more water, what do you do now?
The floodwaters have gone down and you’re allowed to go back into your home. Even though it may seem safe, many dangers can still exist. Here are few things to remember in the days ahead:
- Play it safe. There’s always a chance more flooding or flash floods can occur. Listen for local warnings and information.
- Stay tuned to the radio, television and any other news service to get information and expert advice as soon as it’s available.
- Always avoid going near or into moving water.
- Unless requested by police, fire fighters or other relief workers, stay away from damaged areas.
- As emergency workers will be helping people in flooded areas, it is best to stay off the roads so they have access.
- Return home only when authorities tell you it is safe to do so.
- Roads may still be closed because they have been damaged or are covered by water. Barricades will have been placed for your protection. If you come upon a barricade or a flooded road, find another route.
- If your car stalls in rapidly rising waters, get out immediately and climb to higher ground.
- Stay on firm ground. Moving water only 6 inches deep can sweep you off your feet. Standing water may be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Stay out of any building that is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Be aware that your flooded properties could have unwelcome guests like snakes, spiders or other animals.
If you require more information about any of these topics, the following resources may be helpful.
- http://www.ema.gov.au/www/ema/schools.nsf/Page/Get_The_FactsFloods - Further information on floods.
- http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/site/community_safety/floodsafe/flood_information.jsp - More information on floods.
- http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/farming-management/fire-flood-other-emergencies - information for farmers on preparing for floods.
- http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/floods - Flood recovery information
- http://hardenup.org/prepare-yourself.aspx - Information on preparing an emergency services action plan.